We keep your Acura awesome and your Nissan like new. We follow a regular schedule of factory recommended auto service, auto repair service and car maintenance services. This is the best prevention against unexpected breakdowns and unnecessary damage to your car. A well maintained vehicle often last 250,000 miles or more. Poorly maintained vehicles can be worn out in less than half that time. A car that is not well maintained costs approximately three times more over its lifespan than a car that receives good regular service. Below are examples of items that are often missed through lack of servicing. They can cause a breakdown or a much more expensive automotive repair than auto service alone:
- Timing belts should be replaced between 60,000 miles (5-7 years) and 105,000 miles (7years), depending on the car model. A timing belt drives the engine in the same way a bicycle chain moves a bicycle. If the belt breaks the car stops immediately and in some cases causes major engine damage ($1,000 to $2,000 or more).
- A fuel filter that is not changed will block and damage the fuel pump, which can cost more than a "Major" service.
- Battery terminals that are not cleaned can cause the alternator to overcharge and burn out. An alternator can cost as much as a "Major" service.
- A Battery that appears to start the car well but tests as marginal or is more than 5 years old can also cause the alternator to overcharge and fail.
- Brake fluid that is not replaced will absorb moisture, corrode the metal brake parts, cause seals to leak and boil at a lower temperature, and fail under hard braking. This will be not only expensive but dangerous.
- Coolant not changed regularly will cause electrolysis and corrode the cooling system. Electrolysis will cause all aluminum in the engine to be transferred/corroded and deposited in the remainder of the system. The damaged aluminum parts will include the cylinder head, water pump and housing, thermostat housing, and radiator. These repairs will cost more than if the car had had every service performed for years.
- Valves that are not adjusted regularly can and do burn, and cost five times as much as a "Major" service to repair.
- Coolant hoses should all be replaced at approximately 150,000 miles or 10 years. Hoses get small interior stress cracks that, like a chip in windshield, can suddenly spread into a large crack or split and fail. Why come in 10 times to replace 10 hoses and overheat the engine each time. Overheated engines can, and do, blow head gaskets, a very major engine repair.
Of course, paying a flat rate shop to whistle through your auto repair services and charge you full price while missing half the checks accomplishes nothing. We are not a "flat rate" shop. For 40+ years we have taken pride in the fact that we do everything on the auto service check list, no matter how long it takes. We will also report to you any items that may need repair outside of the service, in priority order, and will let you know our recommendation about which repairs are important and which can be deferred. This priority will be based on how and where you drive as well as what is financially convenient for you.
Our goal is keeping you informed about the best course of action to maintain your car's peak performance, without intimidation or misinformation.